The ASIC Board informs the coffee scientific community that for the first time several awards will be granted during ASIC 2014 Conference. Several categories of awards will be granted.
- ASIC awards on ”Coffee Consumption & Physiological Effects on Humans” and on “Coffee Chemistry”.
Mondelez International will sponsor ASIC awards for the ASIC 2014 conference in the combined area of “Coffee Consumption & Physiological Effects on Humans” and on “Coffee Chemistry”. Two awards of 1000 US$ each will be granted and are intended to demonstrated excellence in scientific research and presentation in these areas.
Nomination will be considered by an ASIC Award Selection Committee consisting of members of ASIC Scientific Committee together with a representative of Mondelez International. This representative will only have a consultative role without voting rights.
The selection will be based on the Application Dossier and the quality of the presentation, either a poster or an oral presentation.
- ASIC award on “Coffee sustainability in production, safety for consumer & quality”
Illy caffè S.p.A. will sponsor an ASIC award to reward a paper that should integrate the concept of sustainability and health. Sustainability and health are two strongly interconnected concepts in food production. This award should sustain and spread a consistent message from the scientific community. 1000 USD will be granted.
The nomination and the selection will be made according to the same conditions than for the first award described above.
- ASIC award on “Environmental research Coffee quality from the tree to the cup”
Nestlé Nespresso SA will sponsor the ASIC awards on “Sustainable Coffee quality from the terroir to the cup”. Topics open to the reward are agronomy, processing and biotechnology with a focus on sustainability aspects (environment, social or economic) and coffee quality. Two awards of 1000 US$ each will be granted.
The nomination and the selection will be made according to the same conditions than for the above first awards.
- ASIC awards. General information.
Candidacy for the ASIC awards is opened to students, postdocs, PHD, researchers, without limit of age or distinction of gender or any other criteria. Academic or research teams can be also accepted. The only populations of scientists that will be excluded are the scientists working directly for a coffee Company.
Application dossier must consist of the following:
- The contact information of the corresponding nominator
- In case of team candidature the name of the team leader and the list of the team members
- A letter of motivation including the description of the objectives
- The CV of the nominator
- The abstract of the paper that the nominator intends to present
- In addition of the abstract a one page document describing the project on which the nominator is working, with the objectives and the impact on coffee science.
As already mentioned above the nominations will be considered by an ASIC Award Selection Committee consisting of members of ASIC Scientific Committee together with a representative of the award sponsor. The selection will be based on the Application Dossier and the quality of the presentation, either a poster or an oral presentation. To this effect the attendance of the nominator to the ASIC Conference is mandatory.